Tuesday, June 25, 2013

So, here I am in the last week of my 30's. I have been trying to come to peace with that. Oh, I know people who are older say 'what's the big deal about turning 40', but that just pisses me off. It IS a big deal. But it is happening next week, regardless of whether I want it to or not. So. I am trying to come to peace with it. And I think that I will. Here's what I think: that, unless things go horribly wrong, that my 40's have the potential to be the best decade of my life. As much as I don't want to be 40, there it is. Why? Well, my kids will be old enough to start doing cool stuff with. Sasha is now out of diapers and the fun can begin. Before I have three teenage girls to deal with...... I am running my 'own' business. We just hired G to be our first associate and we anticipate having a lot of fun at work. My 40's should be the first decade where I'm not broke. I should be able to finally be debt free. To travel. And, as I've stated, anyone who says money doesn't buy happiness is a f'ing moron. I want to be at peace. And being broke just brings misery. That should be behind me in my 40's. My health should hold up to do a lot of things that I want to do. I am getting better as a lawyer. And in ten years, as I dread the big 5-0, I should be in a position to do whatever I want with the rest of my life. Certainly, I will be spending at least part of the year in Alaska. Talking about Alaska, I am getting excited. We leave in less than 2 weeks. I know I am romanticizing the place, but just the thought of being there again makes me want to shout with joy. G and I are planning to buy a piece of land up there once we start making some money. Talking about money, it is still terribly tight with the building going on. But, in 6 months, that should all be behind us and everything we make can go towards debt reduction. And then that piece of the Copper River Valley. That trip to Tuscany I have always wanted. Ponies for the girls. And a million other cool things that will happen in the next 10 years.  So. I'm not happy that a decade has gone by. I don't like the idea of being 40. But I am optimistic about our future.  This song says it all......

No comments: