So, things are ok. I have been focusing on doing all the things in Spring that I could never do in Alaska in March. I have built an aquaponics system. This is three barrels. Fish is one. The fish waste water is pumped up and then feeds the plants. The plants clean the water and the fish grow. I bought a small solar array and now the whole thing is completely circular and self sufficient. It's amazing how much food it will produce. We have our chickens and garden. I am going to start raising bees. I am working long hours but if I am going to be in California, I might as well do some of things I can do here. The back of our building is now DONE! 8 months and a ton of money later, it is done. Now we are working on the design of the front. We are hoping to have it done by July, but that probably means September and $200,000. The kids are doing well. As for me, I still don't know. Not to be a broken record, but the transition from Alaska is still very hard for me. What makes it harder is starting this business. 8 months into this adventure and I have only added hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt. I realize that it will take time to build, but I am frustrated at the pace of things. Perhaps it is because I am about to turn 40 but the pace of time seems ever more important to me. The girls are growing up so quickly. At 40 I am beyond flat broke. My immigration status is the same as it was 10 years ago. I live in a rented house and make minimum payments on everything. It's frustrating to always feel behind the 8 ball. I didn't expect California to be instant but 8 months into it, I still feel like any sort of real change is many, many years off. So. I try and find some enjoyment. There are many things to do around here, but we have no money and with small children, it is hard. Luckily, I am happy at home. In my garden and kitchen.  My office is beautiful and work is picking up.....  Everything is going to be alright......

Comments

Anonymous said…
told ya so
Anonymous said…
told ya so
Anonymous said…
How did you borrow so much $$? "hundreds of thousands of dollars" seem like a huge amount of money just to start a law practice. what is all the money needed for? did your new law partnership buy a building? Just curious. I have been reading your blog on an off for years. I live in AK (I am an attorney up here) and I envy all your great photos of California. we are having a blizzard today in South Central AK.
Yes, we bought a building. The math seemed to work at the front end. Now that we are way over budget, it will take longer to make sense.
Anonymous said…
nice grow operation...

Popular posts from this blog