Wednesday, January 23, 2013

So, things are moving along. This private gig is sure different....Since writing last we have had our first Christmas back in California and I have moved into our office. The office, which was supposed to take 6 months from August is still at least 6 months out. Jeremy and I still aren't sharing space. To be honest, this is bad news. I had calculated a budget for a six month building process. The extra six months of our earnings going into the building, instead of to my pocket, will likely cause some damage. I am trying not to worry. The practice is picking up.....I have been able to travel around Northern California for work a bit, and there are some beautiful spots to where I live. I really don't have much else to write about. The kids are doing well. I am stressed and worried about how to make the practice grow. I am learning California law again as well as learning how to be a business man. I am more worried than ever about the direction of America, and am already looking forward to leaving California, and likely the United States. The country is just so different than when I arrived. I am amazed that Americans put up with it. It's gotten to the point where I'm certain that I am on a "list" just for this blog. How much 'paranoia' you ascribe to that statement depends on how aware you are of what is going on in this country. At least I have options, and good ones at that. My kids deserve better than to grow up in fear and poverty. The way the US is going, it will be a full blown police state before long. I just hope I have enough time to make enough money to leave. The future fills my heart with dread every day. Part of me refuses to stay silent watching America slide into something ugly. But a part of me realizes that the country is beyond saving. I am on my 'meat run'. There is no joy in watching something as amazing as the American Dream die in front of your eyes. I don't know if it is being back in California, or just the state of the country generally, that has left me so negative. In any event, besides working 12 hour days and doing all I can to be the best lawyer I can be, there isn't much else that is new. Back to work....   P.S. I miss Alaska every single day...

2 comments:

Alaskan Public Defender said...

And Alaska misses you. BTW, my Mom is glad that you blog isn’t private anymore and enjoys reading it. Yes, America is a police state, but we fight it every day for keeping it from getting worse. It’s like putting your finger in a dike to stop the flood. It is only a matter of time. We’ll see what happens.

Norm DeGuerre said...

You speak some truth, my friend! I think we're experiencing the consequences of not valuing education. Because where else do we learn that liberty, freedom, and justice for all is not a dream for the lazy, greedy, and ignorant. Your thoughts are much appreciated.