So, it seems certain that my Alaska experiment is over. I don't have it all figured out so I expect those of you who read this to KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT! But I would say as I sit right now, that there is a 100% chance that my family will be in California or Victoria BC within 8 or 9 months. Maybe much, much sooner. I've had it. So has J. And at this point I don't have a choice. I said to J the other day that I would miss Alaska if we left. Her reponse? You can "either miss Alaska or miss your kids". She is done with the cold and the isolation. But before I make it sound like I blaming J, I have my own issues. I have no friends here. Nobody to do the things in Alaska that I love. I am certainly not getting rich. And my buddy Jeremy is now in a position to invite me to come down and practice with him. I spent the last 5 years living in Alaska. Broke. With an unhappy wife. Making bad choices. He spent the same time becoming a multi millionaire. And I don't give a shit what anyone says: money is the key to happiness. But, I haven't decided on Santa Rosa to be honest. I have a job offer in Victoria. And in Victoria I have an INSTANT social network. People to do things with. Watch the kids. I have contacted a realtor and the houses go up for sale in the beginning of January. I have a few big cases that I need to wrap up here and I am gone. I will miss Alaska horribly. But let's see. Am I appreciated at work? No. Do I like where I work? Not so much. Am I inspired by my co-workers? Nope. Is my wife happy? No. Do we have a rich network of friends? No. Do we live in a nice house with nice things? No. Do we have enough money to do what we want? No. Other than the idea of Alaska and a few things like dipnetting and the easy access to wilderness, there is just no reason to stay. I have some things to do on the house and am starting that immediately. Depending on which location we choose and what happens to some of my cases, I have a goal of being gone by June 1. I will try to enjoy our last winter here...but of course there is no one to do that with outside the house...... Again, I work with some of the readers. I expect you not to say anything until I have this figured out.













Comments

Wow. No friends. I know I don't like to do a lot of things outside in the winter and that I don't drink. But no friends, huh? Really? Don't blame you about the other issues mentioned here, though. I know you aren't happy here and that neither is J. Still, I'll miss you both, as well as the girls. Especially our Sunday dinners.

Popular posts from this blog