So, March. Sigh. I love living in Alaska 305 days or so a year. Really. But March and April suck. This should be a Spring month. It was -8 when I went to work today. -8. I know, I know. I've bitched about it before. But it gets harder and harder each year. It doesn't help that it seems like a lot of the folks that I know have either just come back from Hawaii or are on their way. Seriously. At least half the people I know are Hawaii bound. But with 3 kids and one income, that ain't happening. So here are the things that are keeping me 'sane'. First, I'm not alone. People and critters alike suffer at this time of year. Like this pregnant cow moose who scrounges for bits of hay that the rabbits drop. She has been getting aggressive and I'm worried I'll have to shoot her but I sure hope I don't. And not everyone I know is lucky enough to jet off to Hawaii. Some will stay behind to suffer with me. Second, at least I got to get out of Alaska and go to Bainbridge Island. Only a weekend but it reminded me that there are places that are warm and green. Finally, I have a few projects that I am working on. Kadee starts school in a few months (!!) so we are doing up her room. I'm going to paint and do the flooring and get her all set up. On April 1 (just before my boat mechanic goes to Hawaii for two weeks), my boat goes into the shop to have the motor yanked. I'll start some seeds, get some of next year's firewood, work out at the gym, fix all the stuff that the thaw reveals, do an April bear hunt and then May will be here. Hopefully it will be a good crop of interns and the summer will begin. 60 days to go......

Comments

jLow said…
-8? Do you know how good that sounds to me because our summer down here in Texas is fast approaching. This past Sunday? 87 degrees. It will hit the triple digits by mid-May. OMG I HATE SUMMERS IN TEXAS!!!!!!
I agree. Give me the cold any day to that sort of heat. But the 6th month of winter is too much for me.
Kevin in PDX said…
Hey, what about those arora borealis, eh? Can you see those up there, Ben?
Ah Kevin. Not in 5 years. Of course they are nothing compared to the city lights of Portland, the greatest city in the world. I saw them once when I went rabbit hunting in the interior in December.
Justin T. said…
I saw them in Anchorage the other morning, at like 5:30 am. I am enjoying the cold so far. But I will be happy when summer arrives.

Popular posts from this blog