So, every once in a while I just hit a brick wall as a Public Defender. It all just feels so helpless and frustrating. From the place I work, to the clients and the general state of the law itself. Take for example, this case. http://www.vpr.net/npr/132869081/ When the Supreme Court allows this it will mean that ALL the cops will have to do to kick down your door and put a gun in your face is say they heard a toilet flush. Maybe smelled pot. Yeah, yeah, say I am overreacting. The implications are staggering. There is a slow grind in this country from freedom to a police state. Look at this example. http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110110/us_yblog_thelookout/students-as-young-as-six-ticketed-by-police-in-texas-schools Kids as young as 6 being dealt with by the police. Yeah, yeah, blame the parents. But the point is that it is seen as OKAY for the cops to deal with kids. I don’t want the police anywhere near my kids. Ever. But in today’s America it is okay to let the police deal with parenting issues. The whole thing is so frustrating. And yet there is nothing that can be done. It is helpless. The noose tightens and most people are too busy drinking Bud Light and watching American Idol to even care. Sometimes I wish I didn’t care. That my blood pressure didn’t rise when I watched America slowly disintegrate. I wish I still didn’t think America was such an amazing place that I am lucky to live in. It is almost worse to watch something so beautiful be defiled and degraded in the way that it is. From TSA searches to warrantless entry to police in our schools and in our faces, homes and lives, this country is getting worse every day. I wish on days like today that I could leave it all behind. Be rich enough to move my kids somewhere and spend the rest of my life watching them grow up without being afraid for their future. Alas, I will be at work tomorrow. Instead of listening to the Liberty bell “ringing”, I will listen as she gives one last exhausted and terrified tinkle……

Comments

Ken said…
I went to Texas schools, and back then they used a paddle. No need for a ticket if you can paddle. I was anti-corporal punishment for a long time. Now when I see bullies picking on my kids in Texas schools...and the school powerless to do anything about it....you think of taking matters into your own hands. If other less-restrained people than me feel that way, school can get more dangerous quickly. I don't favor tickets, I favor a return to corporal punishment. If you can't conform your conduct and can't stomach a paddle...get your kids out of my kids' school. No Force-your choice.
That's not really the issue. I don't really want someone else smacking my kids around either. The problem is that the people of this country are happy to abrogate their parenting responsiblities over to the police. And the police, of course, are more than happy to be given this power.
jLow said…
PD - I enjoy your blog immensely (seeing as how I may only get the chance to visit Alaska and not live there like I planned back in my 20s). While I spend my days slogging thought family law and probates, my husband is a cop. Trust me when I say there are plenty of cops who do NOT want to deal with other peoples' children. You'd be AMAZED at how many lazy ass parents my husband deals with. Everything from "he stuck his tongue out at me and disrespects me" to "she refuses to clean her room." These parents actually call 9-1-1 asking for an officer's help in a family dispute. The cops don't want these bullshit calls taking up their time. We should be making those parents deal with the results of their worthless parenting instead of giving our government the blank check to implement laws that require police to answer those kinds of calls.
Jlow I agree. That is the REAL problem. Cops will take what is given to them. Yes, they find it is a 'pain in the ass' but I rarely see cops exercise discretion in a way that doesn't ruin people's lives. My own biases aside, I agree with what you said about 100%.
jLow said…
While I'm glad that a PD actually agrees with something I've said (trust me-it's a first), I still take issue with something in your comment: "Ruin people's lives"? Wait a minute . . . the cops appeared in response to a call for service or to someone breaking a law. Their lives wouldn't be "ruined" if they just obeyed the freaking laws. If the "people" were so damned concerned about discretion they would keep order in their own homes and the cops wouldn't be showing up at their doors. The cops never came to my home growing up. They have never come to my home in my adult life. Oh. Wait a minute. We obey the laws. YOUR CLIENTS ARE NOT VICTIMS.

Popular posts from this blog