So, I thought I would save a few buck for Christmas with a toy chest for the girls. Umm, no. Even though I was only "re-finishing" it, it turned into a huge project. I had to take it completely apart to replace rot. I decided to replace rotten wood with cedar. After sanding it, buying new hinges and basically rebuilding it, it didn't turn out to save any money. But. I had a lot of fun doing it. And now the girls have something that means something. Not just another toy made in China. I am going to ask them to use it for dress up clothes. Have any of you (especially with kids) just taken a walk through your house and realized how much stuff you have? Especially stuff that is just everywhere? My god. And to think I paid for most of this stuff. Is it really necessary? To my girls: one day you may look at this chest and wonder where it came from. Know this: I spent weeks in the cold shop working on it. There is something special about working with wood when it is -10. From time to time I would have to go inside so I could feel my hands again. It was a labor of love. It will never be a million dollar piece of furniture but I enjoyed the heck out of it. I am not a religious person. But, for me, celebrating Christmas is enjoying being free. Enjoying the cold, clear nights of this magical place. Enjoying the beautiful girls that surround me and make up my life. Merry Christmas little ones. Now please keep some of your things in this box.....

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good work, kemosabe.
Jennifer S said…
They turned out great! Great work Ben! You are absolutely right about all of the crap we all have. I am seriously going to re structure Christmas celebration next year. Merry Christmas.
yes you are right, but having raised two girls now aged 19 and 23, they point out legacy toys that they want their children to enjoy and many of those items have their dad's sweat as a maker's stamp, not "China". If they didn't get the vogueish toys, they may have felt cheated but with a little of both, it is impressive how ageless wooden boxes and wooden beds and handsewn dresses appear to be.

Popular posts from this blog