So, I had hoped to show you pictures of my working boat today. Instead, a wheel fell off my trailer. Why? I cannot say. It was greased. It worked before. But let me count the blessings. First, I noticed it at a slow speed. If it had come off on the highway it could have wrecked my boat. I could have been hurt or killed. Someone else. Second, I was only a mile from home. It took me almost two hours to go that mile. I had the right jack after the tire went flat last week. So I would jack it up, stick the tire on, and move 10 feet. Stop. Jack it up, put the tire on and move 10 feet. Imagine if it had been in Homer! I got tired of moving the jack so I just held it out the window. Good lord. The structure of the trailer was rebuilt a few years ago when I tried to put new tires on it and it just collapsed. I guess I should have had the bearings done too. I really can't imagine what else will go wrong. I think with some help I can get the axle off and have the mechanic rebuild it. The spindle and bearings are gone. Gone. What will it cost? I don't know. How long will it take? I don't know. Now the boat is sitting in my driveway. Better than beside the Sterling Highway I suppose. Just my luck lately. Like I had an electrician here yesterday but he couldn't find the problem. I have to see a doctor on Monday about some pain in some areas I shouldn't have pain. I just don't get it.....

Comments

tiny tim said…
Dude, I don't want to tell you to leave Alaska because I like living vicariously through you and your job. However, keep slogging through this. In a few weeks it'll be better!
josh said…
I met that boat two years ago. . . . . and then it exploded.
Gabriel said…
And then it began to sink.
Anonymous said…
Hey, I stumbled upon your blog but think this is the one that somebody (DA) told me about this past winter, totally dissing you. By golly, I like your gumption. From a lawyer who was born in Alaska (long ago before statehood before oil before it became northern Texas) I salute you. You bring back some of that pioneer spirit. Yeah, it's a tough life, yeah Wal-mart is so much easier, yeah the old Alaska we all loved is pretty much dead. I don't always agree with you, but I love your willingness to be out there with how you feel and think about things. Good going, good luck.
D said…
I generally don't try to fix my shit myself anymore because it inevitably results in me breaking more shit. Seems like you might have the same problem.
Now just hang tight everyone. I haven't fixed much on this boat myself. But I am going to do these wheel bearings. The mechanic looked at it and told me how. I can do this. The boat is fine. My bad luck is about to turn. Any day now.....
Anonymous said…
a 35k truck pulling a 20k trailer/boat back to your 300k house filled w/ wife and kids....yea ur luck is the worst...back to the 100k job monday.
Anon: Good point...count your blessings. I like your point. Your numbers are way off, but still. Thanks for the reminder. But wow....$300,000 K house. have you seen this place? Ha. Good lord. Try reducing that in half and it still might not sell. Geez man......it makes me laugh that you think those are the real numbers.
crimlawman said…
Ben, can you go after the guy who rebuilt it in the first place? It seems like a lot of the guys who work on your boat fuck it up. I would think there is some sort of at least implied warranty to their work.

Popular posts from this blog