So life changed in Kenai today. Walmart opened. And we went. Well. I went 3 times, mainly just to check prices. I am torn. On the one hand, I understand all the arguments against Walmart. I do. On the other hand, diapers are $20 cheaper. Vegetables. Cheese. All sorts of things. What am I supposed to do? I spend $100 a month just on milk. I have another kid coming and NO idea how I am going to do it. None. So we went and looked. We made a list of things that we needed to see. Dog food. Milk. Diapers. Cheese. Fruit and vegetables. Paper towels. And for the most part, things are a little cheaper. .50 cents times 100 items a month adds up. I had a sandwich for $3.88 for lunch. It would normally cost me over $6. That is $40 a month right there. Plus the store just has everything in one place. Damnit. I don't want to go. But I will. Besides. Alaska is gone. I live in a town where it is a good day to see only one cop. The people here now want it to be like Texas or some other awful place. Walmart may be the final nail in the coffin. That is how people want it. But I tell you what. I would trade getting rid of 50 cops for the Walmart. Alas. Progress. And we go from freedom to slavery. Buckle up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
With Walmart and the taxes the city will get, they can hire 50 more cops.
And they will. Always more cops. This place is absurd. I have never seen a greater police presence in my life. And I was in DC when Obama became President.
Anonymous said…
I don't think that there are necessarily more cops, they are just more visible due to the paucity of roads for them to patrol. Like shooting fish in a barrel. They are all over the one road, but walk 50' off the road, and they are *relatively* scarce.
Anonymous said…
In spite of the background, what a great family picture. Your kids are adorable and your wife has beautiful hair!
Anonymous said…
DO THEY SELL DOGS? YOU SHOULD GET ONE BIG ENOUGH SO THAT EAGLES CANT TAKE THEM OFF! BAHAHA

G
"G". I have never lost a dog to an eagle. Or a chicken for that matter. Actually, bald eagles are primarily marine animals. Not to say they wouldn't take a dog. Dude: how many times have I told you about the ALL CAPS? It makes you look angry. Why would you be angry about my life? Calm down.
Anonymous said…
PEANUT HAD IT coming...he never did like me. i swear you should have put him on a chain though, or put some scare crows up to get rid of the bald eagles! you are in alaska now, not califonria!

g
"G". Stop. I'm not going to respond to your stupid comments anymore. Impersonating someone on a blog? How lame!
Anonymous said…
Its not me Ben Whoever anonymous g is I hope you're not so demented you invented a clone to show how 'right' you are about my posts & signing em to prove yourself I'm wildnorganic-wouldnt sign G Start useing that tracer software ya talk about having!!! And quit blaming me!
Anonymous said…
Ben please email me If you trace those posts you can help me with MY stalker Serious we need help You know our numbers...
Ben,
I'm happy Walmart is here. The normal arguments against Walmart don't really apply in Kenai. There really isn't a "Mom & Pop" store on "Main Street." What, are they going to run Fred Myers out of business? Safeway?
B
Susan Stevenson said…
When Walmart came to Fairbanks, the line was a block long at 4am, waiting for the grand opening. Things are so expensive up here, and with the economy being like it is - why would I spend $5 for shampoo at Fred Meyer when I can get it for $3 at Walmart? It's sad, but even those of us who would like to support Mom and Pop stores, can't justify spending more for necessities.

I found your blog doing a search for blogs in AK. I like to read about life in other towns. We visit Kenai for several weeks each summer - for the fishing. Have to admit, I hate how overcrowded it is in the summer months. I used to love visiting the peninsula, but now it stresses me out.

Susan
http://www.susanstevenson.com/blog

Popular posts from this blog