So, I lost. To those of you inclined to leave anonymous comments, who did NOT see the evidence, feel free. Justice was not done today. I am disappointed. But if you think I am done, think again. Not in this case. Not for any case. Be cautious in your celebration. I am aware that this blog is open to the world so I won't say more. No comment. But let me say this. In times like this we must turn to what we know.

Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

And fight I shall.

Comments

Justin T. said…
You can't say it was for lack of effort on your part, that's for sure.
Meryl said…
Raising my glass this evening to you and to continuing to fight the good fight, even in the face of painful loses.
Anonymous said…
It seems to me that Jimmy Eacker is the one who lost, Ben.
whatshername said…
Ben, I'm really sorry. This is the most stressful kind of case. The cases that keep you up at night.
Anonymous said…
regards,
A. Madman
Anonymous said…
I thank God that justice was served. If Toni was here I would raise a glass to her, instead I will say a prayer for her and her daughters.
The Fisherbabe said…
I just graduated law school and took my bar. I read your blog every time you have a new posting. I struggle with the concept of good lawyer versus bad lawyer. So many times, I am finding, people project their unfound opinions and hatred onto not only the victim or the accused but onto the defender, as well. I am sensitive...and this bothers me!!

It is tough to be a "good lawyer" in this world as everyone already has their preconceived notions of what we must be to do this job. When the truth remains that we are just human beings trying to right some wrongs in the world. We are only trying to make a difference, leave our mark, do our jobs, and give every person a chance at equal justice. We are people that everyone hates...until they need us, of course.

I think you did a great job. I so enjoyed reading your posts on this trial, and I actually learned a lot. Thank you for your postings and insights!!! I am certain your client was well served regardless of the outcome!!

LIZZY
Time to talk about something else. I am not sure that I want all the attention to this blog now that it may get from every whackadoo out there. I'll have to see.
Anonymous said…
Thanks to the paper for mentioning it. Then again, you've always had some interesting characters on this blog.
Well I am an interesting character. I like how people are commenting on reasons I lost this case and how I dared to show emotion at the end. I live my life, and defend my clients, with a passion that a flea like them could never understand. It never ceases to amaze me how those who were not there are disgusted that we dared have a trial at all. Democracy in this country hangs by a finer thread than I think most people realize.
Ben,

You did everything you could and poor Jimmy got screwed. While I feel for Toni’s family, etc., justice is not served by convicting an innocent person.

Bill

Popular posts from this blog