So, there is one thing I do not understand. At all. I am watching CNN about the earthquake in Haiti. It is an awful tragedy. But here is what I don't get. I see a lot of bodies that are just covered with sheets. I see people complaining that there is not enough rescue workers. But I see people walking around everyone. Not injured. Not dazed. Just walking. Almost strolling. By the thousands. I see empty pickups everywhere. I just don't get it. Why not get a crew together? At a minimum remove the rotting bodies? Why is not every able bodied person helping to dig out neighbors? I just saw people reject UN food because they confused the package date of 2008 with the expiration date of 2010! Are you serious? They actually took the food and dumped it on the street so no one could eat it! If you think I am wrong, go ahead. Watch the news. I just saw a little girl die on CNN because there were not enough people to free her. Now granted I am NOT there. I have never lived through anything like that. But I saw the concrete on her. I have moved rocks that big with a truck and a chain. She might die if you try. She will absolutely die if you do nothing. For F's sake people. Get some pry bars. Even some 2x4's. I bet a dozen people could have saved her. Get people pulling on her and others lifting and prying. Do something! Instead, I just see people wandering around. Not injured. Not dazed. Is it just that they have been so poor for so long they can't help themselves? Is it just what I see is so distorted from reality? It may be that they can't help anyone. It doesn't look that way to me. I am tempted to give money to help. But I'm not going to. I want to see all those able bodied men I see on TV just walking around help first. If they were injured or frantically looking for a loved one or anything, I might get it. But that is not what I see. I just don't get it.

Comments

josh said…
don't confuse those not helping with those trapped and dying - give money to the people helping rather than punishing the dying for the wrongs of the living. Mark that
Yeah I suppose. I'm not even sure it is a 'wrong'. Like I said, I just don't get it. I'm not there and I won't pretend to understand. But I see people everywhere just doing nothing. If rescue workers are flying in from all over the world to dig people out with their bare hands, why is every single able bodied Haitian not doing the same?
Anonymous said…
I agree. Call me a bastard, but I think sending money there is like throwing it down a rathole.

Maybe I'll donate to some non-Haitian related charity to help make up the difference in what they're going to come up short when people get tired of giving.
Anonymous said…
Summer's Eve
Douche? Because I want to see people helping themselves? Maybe so. But I would feel better about sending my money down there if I saw everyone trying to do what they could. Letting bodies rot in the streets? Allowing children to die for a lack of hands? I'm sorry. If there was a quake here I would look after my family. Then help my neighbors. I'm sure many, many, many people there are doing that. But in Port au Prince I see people by the thousands doing NOTHING! The problem with too much charity is sometimes you destroy the spirit of the man.
Anonymous said…
http://american.redcross.org/site/PageServer?pagename=ntld_haiti_video_landing

Please help, they are in need.
Anonymous said…
Apparently it's not just the Haitians who are declining to help:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/16/haiti.abandoned.patients/index.html
toytrkman said…
Hi, I've never commented on here but I've been reading for a few months now. I love hearing and reading about Alaska and may move there if I can get rid of most of my stuff. 38 years of life seems to gather lots of stuff. Mostly how in the world can I get all my guns and such up there without it costing me a arm and a leg! Anyhow, I definitely can sympathize with your concerns. I give lots of charity to an orphanage in India that we had a part in starting. In doing so, I went there and visited different places and spoke to lots of people. When people receive too much charity, it definitely ruins them. Just look at the natives in the lower 48. I'm sorry to say such things, but a once proud people are for the most part ruined with no self respect. I've lived around lots of them in MN. and MT. Definitely give to trusted sources if at all possible. Anyhow, I enjoy reading the blog.
Justin T. said…
There's also the issue of infrastructure. You mention letting bodies rot in the streets, but where are they going to take them? The entire place is completely fucked. There's no place to put the bodies once you dig them out, let alone enough people to even accomplish digging them out. I don't disagree that people should do what they could, but this is not a disaster like anyone's ever seen in the western hemisphere and thus the relief effort is going to look a little different than we might expect.

Popular posts from this blog