So, some people believe in fancy store bought Christmas trees. You know one with lots of pretty even branches and all that. Not me. I think part of Christmas in Alaska is hauling one of these ugly little scrub spruce in and seeing what can be done to pretty it up. I had planned a big family expedition but it has just been too darned cold. So we cut one off the property. And it looks pretty good all decorated too. I was supposed to go snowmachining in the Caribou Hills today but, and those of you who know me won't blink at this, I got my snowmachine started and then it died and it won't start again. I damaged my bumper on the trailer. You know, the standard stuff for me. So I am going to cut my losses. Make food for the office Solstice lunch tomorrow..Mulligatawny soup and Naan bread is my part. After tomorrow the days start getting longer!! After 6 weeks of nights and weekends the house is just about done. One more night of work and then cleaning. The crack den is no more and it looks pretty darned good. Now comes the fun part. Collecting from my 'poor' tenants with a 'substance abuse problem'.

Comments

Gloria said…
How fun that your office celebrates the solstice!

I've always preferred to cut a tree for Christmas too, but I've never had the pleasure of doing so on my own property, as we have mostly oaks, maples, and other hardwoods here. There is something special about cutting your own that I would miss if I bought one off a lot in the city!

Good for you that you finally finished repairing that damage. I've thought in years past about acquiring a rental "income" property, but I've feared that they would be economic drains rather than income producers, for just those reasons! I hope you have better luck with future tenants.
josh said…
NPR reported this morning that Alaska is considering requiring all imported christmas trees to be mechanically shaken. Apparently frogs from Washington and Oregon cling to the trees for the free ride to Alaska and with them they bring non-native parasites and fungi . . .
Dan said…
Yeah! No more crack den!

Popular posts from this blog