So, the Alaska Public Defender Agency is hiring. I do not, of course, speak for the Agency in any way whatsoever but I simply figured I would do some free advertising. Quite frankly our office needs a misdemeanor lawyer. There are spots open throughout the State and I encourage anyone who is interested to call Doug Moody in Anchorage. Tell him I sent you if you wish. My only request is that you come to Alaska with the 'right' attitude. That is, although there are no guarantees in life, it really sucks to have people show up who treat this place as some sort of temporary flop house. Alaska deserves better. Hell, call me first and I will talk to you. There are pro's and con's of any job, and of life in Alaska, but the Agency is a damned good place to work. The pay is good, the lawyers are excellent and the support you need (experts, staff, supplies etc. is there). It is probably one of the few public defender organizations that IS hiring. Besides, it is Alaska. And yes, at this time of the year it can get dark early. And cold. But the sunsets are amazing. So get a hobby. Rest up. In just a few weeks the tide will turn and the days will get longer and longer and longer. By August you will be exhausted. At least I am . Fishing, camping, gardening, getting firewood etc. So for all you lawyers out there, think about it. You can practice for the Agency for 10 months until you have to pass the bar, or waive in. The ten month rule is fairly unique I think and gives you a chance to get settled before worrying about the bar exam. So there you go. This or traffic. Pollution. People everywhere. Your choice.

Comments

josh said…
spread those legs son before you end up with an axe in the shin
Dan said…
Good luck to anyone who applies. There are some really good attorneys at the PD Agency. Just don't forget the forest for the trees and you'll be fine.
Justin T. said…
You're doin that wrong.
Some of the best times of my life were at the agency. It is one of the few places in the nation in which the citizenry don't necessarily favor cops and DAs. The wild beauty is unmatched. As for the forest...in the words of a venerable public defender, "If a DA was on fire I wouldn't piss on him". When you get there you are expected to fight like hell.
Hey pole smoker, any set plans for the summer yet? Give me a call sometime.
G: making my summer 2010 list now. It looks like the boys will be coming up. Even if they don't you should. July is a damned fine month in Kenai.
max said…
Are you going to publish your "3 year retrospective" soon? It might encourage or discourage some of us...
A note to anyone thinkng of applying for the PD Agency: although I do get very frustrated on occaision, I love working here. We do very important work and don't have our bosses up our asses all the time telling us how to run our cases. Plus the beauty of Alaska. Tough to beat. (BTW, I think the frustration is the nature of the job.)
Gloria said…
It must be fate. For some time I have felt pulled to return to public defender work. And just this past weekend I mentioned that I am still dreaming of moving to Alaska. Then I found an ad for Alaska PD jobs. In researching that, I found this blog. So, I've submitted an application. I hope that there is an opening for an experienced attorney in a rural area. Thank you for this blog!
Miami Job Seeker said…
Hi! Thanks for this post! After reading a listing for the PD's office I came across your blog and it really encouraged me to apply. I live in Miami now and my friend who is a PD here has only the opposite sort of things to say about her office. It was refreshing to see that there is a place where PDs have a more positive working environment. I sent in my application, so I have my fingers crossed! Cheers!

Popular posts from this blog