So, I'm at the rental fixing holes in drywall (thanks to Danny and Melissa Gentry of Soldotna or Kenai Alaska) when I get a call for road kill moose. Hell yeah, I'm going. Trashed rental or not. Great news, I thought. It was a giant old cow. I'm thinking, this is a lot of meat. I have been lucky with road kill moose so I thought my luck would hold. But this one was hit so hard it was just mush. Almost all of it. We got no backstraps and had to discard the ribs entirely. The front quarters were shattered bone and goo. It looked more or less fine until we started to get the hide off. When I hit guts in an area they shouldn't have been, I went 'oh-oh'. Out of an animal that was probably 600 lbs or more on the hoof, we might get 100 lbs of meat. Maybe. If we are lucky. So who helped me? A State Trooper buddy. Shocking! A public defender with a Trooper! Um, no. You see, not all cops wish they had a skin lamp in their living room. Just a few. I know who they are. They are the special few who have a special place in hell along with those who hurt dogs and horses. I might not be able to prevent them from lying in this life. Hurting people. Being bullies and thugs. But justice will come for them. Oh, yes it will. For the rest, well hell. Come over. Drink beer. Butcher a moose. Talk about our kids. Things we have done and seen and all the things we want to see and do before our time comes. We are both doing law enforcement. Good cops do it on the street. Good lawyers do it in the courtroom and on the phone. But for now, I will let my mind drift into other things. Like making 100 lbs of spicy moose sausage tomorrow. And drinking beer. G will be here Saturday. When he goes home to California I want his place to have plumbing problems as it tries to digest all the meat he needs to get rid of.

Comments

One of my neighbors actually called the Troopers because their dog brought home a moose bone. By law, I have to take the guts etc to the dump (which I ALWAYS DO) but I couldn't last night (obviously) and I feed bones to the dogs anyways. I guess a neighbor dog got one and the owner was so concerned they called the cops! The best part is the Troopers actually showed up! There are wayyyyyy too many cops in Kenai. There was no violation of law of course and the Trooper left right away but can you believe that?
Anonymous said…
Was this the Spur Highway by the Concrete Dome and Church, moose kill? If it is, I had to relay the call for a lady that was too shook up.
shu said…
Off topic, but I thought you might like this:

http://www.heatcity.org/2009/10/detention-officer-tries-to-explain-why.html
shu said…
Looks like part of the link was cut off. Here it is again.

http://www.heatcity.org/2009/10/
detention-officer-tries-to-explain-why.html
jcpace3 said…
Can you help me? I'm new to Blogger and am trying to put photos in my blog posts, but when I load them up, they don't let me click through to a larger version of the picture like yours do. Do I need to do something special when I add a picture to the text of my post? Any advice you have would be appreciated.
Resize your photos. Find the photo you want to upload. Right light. Find properties. Resize it. Upload that and try it. The photos I have now are smaller than in the past because my camera changed. You may have to do this to every photo....and I am getting lazy.
jcpace3 said…
Thanks. I'll give it a try. I enjoy reading your blog and appreciate the work you do, even if you do hate California, where I live.
Anonymous said…
Not only does he hate California, where I also live...he hates babies too (that aren't from his seed)...which I have...

:)

g

Popular posts from this blog