So, I have this little rental. It is not much. It is the house we started in. I thought I would keep it as an 'investment'. I had a young couple move in. They were just starting out with a small child. So I agreed to keep the power in my name. I filled the oil tank so they could get through the winter and they agreed to fill it up when they left. I let them be late on rent and trade work for rent. I let things slide when things were tough, even though it was hard on me. Then, in October, they didn't pay rent at all, despite promise after promise after promise. So, I had to boot them. I even agreed to give them a few extra days because they told the judge that they would fill the oil tank. Pay the power bill. Clean the place. So Saturday came and went. They didn't move. I had to threaten to call the cops and exercise my writ of assistance. Finally, they "moved". The left behind two junked cars (one of which I don't how to move it is so 'set' in). Appliances. Tires. Mounds of garbage. Broken windows. They were growing dope in one room and caused a mold problem. Holes in the drywall. A dog chewed the wooden stairs. They let the oil tank right dry and the house was on the verge of freezing. $787 to fill. I had to borrow $5000 from the bank to cover the loss and damage and it was not enough. I tried to be nice. I tried to help a young couple. And they destroyed my house. I don't know what to do....I have no money to fix the place. Yes, yes I will get a judgment. And no, the damage deposit does not cover this carnage. And in years, if I am lucky, through garnishment of wages and the PFD, I may get my money back. But I have many, many, many hours of work ahead of me. Moving garbage and cars. Fixing drywall, painting and cleaning. These pictures do not do it justice. The place is just trashed. Even as of tonight the house and yard are still full of garbage, despite 3 dump runs. I will never be nice like this again. This set my family back a lot. I cannot let the place be as I have new renters com ing in December. And I could not sell it like this...it is barely habitable. I was just starting to get a head a little. I borrowed what I could and it is not enough to even do the basics. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. FUCKKKKKKK!!!!!! Landlords. Never, ever rent to Danny or Melissa Gentry of Soldotna Alaska. Or Kenai Alaska. Daniel or Melissa Gentry. Danny or Melissa Gentry. Of Soldotna Alaska. I am repeating myself for Google. Danny or Melissa Gentry of Alaska. They destroyed my house and laughed about it. Danny and Melissa Gentry of Alaska.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i have a rental 4000 miles away from here...biggest mistake is leaving carpet in there! every time old renters leave, the carpet is trashed...granted - that's the least of your problems...but put some of that cheap laminate shit in there...anything is better than carpet! and post that junk on craigslist in the free section...you'd be surprised at the junk some people are interested in...

-g2
Justin T. said…
Take care of yourself and your family and fuck everybody else. The Ben Adams Charity Project is over, and it sounds like the Ben Adams Revenge Arson and Insurance Claim Program is about to get geared up.
shu said…
Enjoy the blog from Japan. As I've mentioned before, I used to work indigent defense in the States.

I have a rental back in the U.S.

I had a similar thing experience (actually I've had a couple crappy renters) when I tried to help a young couple with a child get started in life. I, too, gave them breaks on the rent, accepted late payments etc. How'd they repay me? Back rent due and about a thousand dollars damage from ignoring the "no pets" clause, kicking holes in the walls and holding parties in which trash was just dumped in the house and the yard -- then they just packed up and left rather than give any notice and left the place wide open (my management company was asleep at the wheel).

But, seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?

And renters wonder their landlords are such assholes ...
Anonymous said…
if you keep renting it out, you need to do periodioc inspections re: maintenance and pests. That way you can try to act before it gets too bad in the future. Best of Luck.
Anonymous said…
Hopefully, you didn't have to threaten to call the same cop who so proudly you called a "jackass" the night before.

How proudly you proclaim that you called a cop a name yet threaten to call the cops when you need them...
Well I didn't call the cops. I mean unless there is a missing child or something, why bother? And Erickson is a jackass. Not all cops are. But I see a difference between 'threatening' to exercise all legal remedies available, and actually calling the cops. And yes, thank God I didn't have to call Erickson. I would rather my house burn to the ground than have that man on my property. He is a bully and thug.
I get so tired of that shit. You complain about a few shitty cops and suddenly you're not allowed to call law enforcement or you're a hypocrite. While I may have problems with the law, I (and I believe Ben falls in this category) do NOT have a problem with cops who operate within it.

And yet, every single time someone who doesn't like bad cops suggests calling the cops, Mr. Assclown Anonymous shrieks "YOU are calling the cops??? That's soooo funny!!" like there's no difference between them. Moron.
Anonymous said…
It wasn't a statement about shitty cops but rather "God I had forgotten how much I really dislike the cops".

Nobody likes bad cops however, the troubling part of the blog was the apparently glee that the writer took in being able to call a cop a "jackass". Is that something that is supposed to be impresive? or is that just how the public defenders act in Kenai?
Hopefully, that's how everyone would react to a jackass like that particular cop. The community ought to, with glee, condemn him loudly when he acts the way he does. Instead, we have apologists who suggest that cops are somehow above the rest of us and should be treated with respect, even when they are acting like total jackasses.
josh said…
that sucks Ben, wish i was there to give you a hand. Let me make a little suggestion: your blog has become quite popular and google seems to send a lot of people your way, so put there names in the blog a number of times so that next time someone wants to know what their character is or how they'll be as a renter, they can get a load of how they appreciated your help.

Popular posts from this blog