So, I want to write a brief post about basic immigration law. There seems to be this enduring myth among Americans that one can simply come to this country and become American. Ummm, no. In fact if I were not Canadian with the NAFTA treaty, I could not be in Alaska at all. In fact, it can be nearly impossible. So many Americans ask the question "why not just naturalize"? Like I can go down to the post office, get an application and PRESTO! The basic rule is this: you have to have a Green Card (aka be a Permanent resident) before you can become a citizen. How long you need to be in this status depends on how you got it. There are two basic ways to get a Green card. Be sponsored by family or your employer. If you don't have qualifying American family you have to get your employer to do it. There you have to show that there is no American "willing, able and qualified" to do your job. Of course you have to get past the first hurdle of a willing employer. The State of Alaska has a policy of NOT sponsoring employees for a Green Card. Even employees they recruited and rely on. Oh yes, Alaska loves that big middle finger. That means that, even if I so desired, it is IMPOSSIBLE to adjust status or become a citizen. J can never work, despite the fact that she was a geriatric nurse in England for 8 years. The people in this country have their heads so far up their asses when it comes to immigration it is a joke. Yes, illegal immigration is an issue. But most people don't realize that it is nearly impossible to legally immigrate to the United States. And, if you need more information you can go back in this blog to learn about "Backlog Elimination Centers" and all the rest of it. I don't want to talk about it anymore. I can feel myself getting angry.

Comments

Anonymous said…
take a hint...
Anonymous said…
Long time reader, but first time commenter.

It always makes me mad that it's easier for illegal immigrants to be in the country than someone who is trying to do things the right way. To top it off, Congress has (in the recent past) talked about giving amnesty to the illegal immigrants but nothing to the legal immigrants.
josh said…
Dude, you are forgetting about the third way! Get a flight to cuba and have a friend (wink wink) pick you up on a jet ski and drop you just off key west. Or do what everyone else in Miami does - get married and eventually become your own greencard factory.
jeremy said…
off topic...can you suggest a good starter home brew kit? one that will ship to the bush?
Jeremy, what are you trying to brew? A bsic beer? What flavor? Anon #1, I think Kotz has gotten to your head. You are a poisonous person but you do me no harm so I let you rant. Maybe a vacation? You DO know that I know who you are right? God I love technology.
Joe Ray Skrha said…
Hi Ben,
I have found when having days like you had today...I go home, pick up my guitar and thank God that I've been given a gift of helping those out who aren't as fortunate as I am... After 26 years of doing criminal defense, I realize that getting pissed at a client, DA or Judge is simply "part of the profession..." I get pissed at my private clients even more that my pro bono clients because most of my private clients have the where-with-all to know better.... but simply just don't care. But thats their choice... I choose to fight the fight for the client that puts his life in your hands... I remember my DAD practicing medicine and treating those patients that choose to smoke and drink even though they know it is killing them. Dad would treat the human spirit even though the human being should and does know better. The human spirit always deserves the best we as professionals can give. Some Docs refuse heart transplants to people that smoke pot. Yet, your frustration in having to represent people that choose to reoffend is normal... Still, not defending them would leave Big Brother run rampant and destroy the human spirit and the human being. It's the human spirit in those that are sentenced to death that we defense attorneys keep fighting for. We don't fight to condone their actions, we fight for their "human spirit", the same spirit that gives all of us a "hope for the future..."
It's almost midnight and I am really tired. I hope what I have said here makes sense to you and allows you to keep using the gift of compassion and understanding to be the best defense attorney you can be. Let the book worm be the DA's... We need your Human Spirit to fight the fight even when things look the darkest... Remember the words of David Crosby who wrote that "it's always darkest right before the dawn..." Rock On my friend... We need you. Peace, Joe Ray Skrha, Kenai River, Alaska...

Popular posts from this blog