So, I am absolutely fascinated lately by how people are finding this blog. Granted, searches for "Alaska Public Defender Agency" seem to be at the top. But nearly as many people want to know what life is like in Alaska. Do we get sick of the dark? The cold? What are the disadvantages to life in Alaska? The pros and cons to life in Alaska. I wish I had all the answers. This blog is about me. My friends and family. And I am an 'unusual' guy (waiting for the comments here). Not every one who lives here gets a kick out of road kill moose. Heating exclusively with wood (in my third winter in this house I am trying to figure out how to work a furnace...I have never used one in my life). Having a garden. Raising chickens, turkeys, hogs and rabbits. Hunting. Dipnetting. Fishing and exploring. Snowmachining and off-roading. Not everyone likes the cold of Kotzebue or the rains of Ketchikan. Not everyone believes that the right to own and possess guns is a right handed to us from the God himself and shall not be infringed by mere man. Not everyone sees freedom the way I do. I see freedom as the right, and the duty, to look after yourself as much as possible. I will say this. Alaska is huge. You can live in Anchorage and live just like you would in any other American city (but what is the point? Seriously). Of course I can't throw too many stones. Kenai and Soldotna aren't exactly the Bush...and in July I want to screwm with all the traffic. Or you could live in a place like Kotzebue. Barrow. Nome. And a million other places. Places off the road where you have to depend on yourself and your neighbors. Places where if you make a mistake it will kill you. Places where a bear can wander into your yard. Where moose is a big part of your diet. Where the northern lights are a damned good reason to get up and go outside in -20. Everyone who is here has their own reasons. This blog contains mine. I hope I can help. And yes, let me state my bias: God I love Alaska.

Comments

Dan said…
Amen, brother.

I've lived in Chicago, Washington state, northern Sweden, the United Kingdom and Alaska. I take Alaska over all of these other locales any day of the week.
Anonymous said…
I'm interested in your blog and anything you write about because I live in what's almost exactly the opposite to the wild freedom of Alaska, living in central England for most of my life is pretty soul crushing..
josh said…
I really miss it up there, though I haven't spent a winter there. Now that you're finally monitoring the sites I'm coming from I guess I better start taking a pit stop at my gmail before I come here.
It's not fair to say that I am 'monitoring' the sites people come from, except for google searches. That is the only one.
josh said…
I think it also tells you the site that I was just on . . . at least it should

Popular posts from this blog