So, I just got home from a vacation in the city of my birth, Victoria BC. I had forgotten how warm and green it was there. I must admit that I am still feeling a little homesick as I sit here. It was great to see the country and see so many of the people that I care about. The trip started with a negative experience with Canada Customs. The officer actually had the nerve to ask me how long I would be staying. When I said "as long as I want", I was throughly searched. The officer going through my bag found a business card and asked "why do you need a public defender". Jackass. I knew I was fine and I wasn't going to let them ask me that question! I am Canadian, damnit. The funny thing is that the Americans didn't do much other than wave me through. The first full day there I went with my brother and his kids and we did a zip line and tree course in Nanaimo (see http://www.wildplayparks.com/index-nanaimo.php). I thought it would be for kids but it kicked my ass.
At one point Jeremy said "I would like to meet the sadistic bastard who designed this course and punch him in the face." Made me laugh. At one point I was yelling "this is bullshit, this is bullshit". The zip line was fun though, especially the one over the Nanaimo river. We also got to go to Long Beach up near Tofino. Jeremy rented a Mustang convertible and we drove up there at about 80 MPH. That is a truly amazing part of the world. We got to see huge trees and bears as well as walk on the amazing beaches.
Other than that, the highlights were climbing Mt. Finlayson (a feat I once managed to do in my old Toyota Landcruiser) and Mt. Doug. The trip was not long enough and there were people I did not see. Some of those I saw, I did not see long enough. I got to play crib with my 99 year old great aunt and watch her throughly destroy me. I went to UVIC law and looked around. It made me sad to realize that 10 years have gone by since I left there. 10 friggen years. All in all I would say the trip left me a little melancholy. It was a great trip, the food was great, the weather was great, the car fast and the company world class. I guess it made me sad to realize all the people I left behind. There was a part of me that wanted to come home to Alaska and pack up and move back. It will be my only trip Outside this year. Back to summer in Alaska. Back to my life....... P.S. we lost another dog this weekend. I guess Zari got into a porcupine again. It cost me $600 last time. I guess this time she was hurt bad. I had to have a friend come over and put her down. Damnit.













Comments

Dan said…
Well, that proves it. Customs officials suck everywhere.
Anonymous said…
RIP Zari, Porcupine killer.
Anonymous said…
Most pictures are fake, photoshopped...
Pictures on my site are fake? Hardly. I don't even own photoshop nor do I have the time or the need. Alaska is just that beautiful.
Anonymous said…
Fake? What does that mean?
Anonymous said…
The Zip line is way cool fun. The other deals look like work and scary "feets don't fail me". Had to cut my daughter's hair from the pully on a zip line, don't suppose Ben needed to worry.

Photoshopped what? Is Ben not that pretty?
3356 18th St said…
Incredibly disheartening to see an advertisement for a sex-offender finder on the top of your site. Now I'll read the post.
josh said…
I have no idea why that comment has my own address as my name . . . ?
josh said…
Great pictures! I feel the same way having just returned from Oregon, I'm thinking what the fuck am I doing moving to south beach fucking Florida - even farther away from all my oldest friends and away from those I spent the last three years cultivating. That's life I guess. Call me
Anonymous said…
Well they are edited using some type of software, and the one with the supposed "bear" in the background is obviously a green screen...as in you are posing in front of a blank green wall and superimposing the photos. I have a degree is computer science, and can spot a fake from a mile away. Nice try...
Anonymous said…
why do you keep having problems like that with your dogs and were you there at the time
Anonymous said…
I think it's hilarious the wackos that find their way onto your site, Ben. I'm also more than a little disconcerted by the state of computer "science" education these days. If anyone knew you they'd know that you lack the ability or the inclination to manipulate your photos in that way. I wonder if there are any photos with me in it that are supposedly green screen technology.

g
No, I was not home at the time. I have lost two dogs to wildlife...what can I say? I live in Alaska and I don't fence my dogs. It happens. It is sad but what can I do? As for fake photos, you are absolutely insane. I need to pretend to have seen a bear? God some 'expert' you are! I went all the way to Vancouver Island to stand in front of a green screen? Retard.
Anonymous said…
As a resident of Vancouver Island, I resent someone saying that the pictures are photoshopped. Yes, it is all natural. This place doesn't need any help to look as beautiful as it is.
Anonymous said…
It was a great trip! I loved the little bear. (When I showed my wife the picture of me next to the bear she said I was a retard for getting that close.) We saw a lot of cool stuff... when we went to the coast we saw some micro-environments in some tidal pools (anemonies, mussels, hermit crabs, and lots of starfish). My favorite was a bright purple starfish. I think Ben got a picture. I miss you Purple Starfish. It was over too soon. It was great to see Aunt Ivy going strong at 99 years old. She can still deal cards like nobody's business. The adventure climb was awesome. I couldn't believe how high we were. Ben's brother's family was cool. Good quality people. Even the teenage girl had a good head on her shoulders (she might be the only teenage girl I've ever met that has a chance of avoiding going through HEBCa stage 1). A description of the HEBCa theory will have to wait until Ben and I have a great amount of time to explain.

Jeremy
Anonymous said…
Wow - Thanks for sharing the photos. I haven't been to Victoria in a few years. I love, love, love the Japanese Village. Did you get to eat awesome food while you were in BC?
Anonymous said…
Just sayin'.....

Kenai Peninsula Borough Ordinance: 8.10.040. Dog or Cat Restraint.

A. It shall be unlawful for an owner of any dog or cat to permit such dog or cat to trespass on the property of another person. An owner of a dog or cat shall at all times take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure the dog or cat will not trespass on the property of another person.

B. It shall be unlawful for an owner of a vicious or dangerous dog or cat to permit such dog or cat to run at large within the borough. An owner or caretaker of such a dog or cat shall at all times either confine the dog or cat in a building or a secure enclosure, or otherwise secure the dog or cat as with a muzzle and leash, so that it cannot injure other persons or their property.
Anon, you are truly a world class asshole. Truly. What a prick.

Popular posts from this blog