So, in the grand tradition of all the names I have been called over the years (Tractorboy, Hillbilly, Squidbilly, etc..you get the point) I got up early yesterday, picked two nice ones out of the horse trailer they arrived in, and put two piglets in the back of the Suburban. They are now living in the back of my horse trailer because the ground is still too frozen to finish their pen. I hope to get them out of there soon but so far they are just sleeping a lot. They are still stressed out from their journey and I am going to make them sort of treat today to get them on their feet. I figure I may not save the world by growing more of our food, but I'm not hurting it as much. I buy Alaska made grain to help reduce the carbon footprint of the meat even more. And even if I save even two pigs a year from the horror of a factory farm, that is worth it to me. These two pigs are going to have the best life I can give them. Besides I just plain like to have animals around. True, it is more work. But even that has benefits. It gives me physical activity I sorely need after a long winter, the kids love all the animals and the garden is going to love the manure. Hog manure is simply excellent fertilizer and when I am cleaning it up I just think of all the lovely tomatoes and potatoes and beans (etc.) that will result. We celebrated AJ's birthday last night with a few friends over. We had the first bonfire of the year, drank homemade wine and I cooked up a big pot of bear and moose spaghetti. I can taste summer just around the corner!



Comments

Anonymous said…
swine flu - ha
Better than that. I have birds too. Oh no the flu! I may need some DayQuil and 7-Up!
Anonymous said…
Alyssa appears to be calling you a loser.
josh said…
totally awesome!
Me or someone. She is a girl after all.
Anonymous said…
don't get SWINE FLU HAHAHHAHA LOL

Popular posts from this blog