So, let me tell you one of the dumbest things about living in Alaska. People here tend to assume a person is correct based solely on the number of years they have lived here. So, for example, here is an example of a typical conversation in Alaska.

Man 1: The sky is green.

Man 2: No, it is blue.

Man 1: I have been here 14 years, how long have you been here?

Man 2: 3 years.

Crowd: Oooooooohhhhhh, the sky is green!

Take these pictures for example. Not the greatest quality I know. We had some people over last night and this show came on about Dick Proenneke. I said 'wow look at that sockeye salmon' (also known as a 'red'). Jesse claimed it was a 'pink'. All the others said 'well he would know, he has lived here longer than you'. Besides the fact that is just dumb, we all know there are no salmon in the waters of coastal British Columbia where I grew up. Only Alaska has salmon apparently. So now I have been called out. All my 'friends' were sure vocal when it came to telling me I was wrong. We'll see if they are man enough to be vocal enough to admit I was right. What do any of you think? Sockeye or pink? It was caught in Upper Twin Lake in 1991 by the way. Not only is it called a sockeye in the video, the size and shape of the fish clearly makes it a sockeye. Pinks are generally 3-5 pounds with the Alaska record just about 13 pounds. Assuming this is a 10 lb fish, it is very unlikely a pink (even without the green head and other indicia that it is a sockeye). Going to the webiste on Upper Twin lake (part of Lake Clark National Park) shows you can fish for "Lake and Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden,Arctic Grayling
Sockeye and Coho Salmon and Northern Pike. (See for example http://uppertwinlake.com/tripinfo.html although there are many web sites that say the same thing) Tomorrow I am getting on the phone to a biologist. This seems like a minor issue, and it is. But I have had enough of this Alaska attitude that one can be right simply by saying "I have been here longer than you". And having people from Arkansas, West Virginia and New York tell me what fish are is just unacceptable too. P.S. Winter is dragging on so I need to find something to do. This is as good as anything I guess.

video

Comments

Anonymous said…
Looks like a Rhumpy or maybe a Pinksock, odd year odd fish. Go with the Boy Investigator. Alaska Cred comes with years and does not start till you get a PFD or do a bear, pee in the Yukon, blah, blah, blah.
BK I just can't do it. If I am wrong then I am wrong. Not because of where I come from but because I am wrong. Hell I was going to fish camp on the Yukon before he was born. I'm quashing this crap now. Simply being here doesn't make you always right.
Anonymous said…
This is what an unamed biologist might say. But do not believe it because he has lived in Alaska way too long.

"O.K sending a terrible picture does not help along with no information on size, where caught, size of scales, coloration/spots on tail and a few other characteristics that would help makes this more fun. However, based on coloration and shape of the body I would say sockeye salmon. The head appears very green and the body is more red than spawning male pink salmon. Pinks tend to be darker on the dorsal side and the male hump is more pronounced. The scales of pinks are a dead giveaway as they are very small but it looks like this fish has reabsorbed its scales. The head looks weird to me but that may be the picture quality. I cannot blow up the picture to see the mouth parts in relation to the eye."
Anonymous said…
I agree w/ Ben - looks like a red to me. I have caught some just turning and some really spawned out pinks and never seen one turn red with a green head (I will acknowledge only in one creek - Ressurection in Hope). All the spawny reds I have seen have that coloring - and yes, reds do get some hump in their backs too, not just "humpies."
Anonymous said…
that was HUMP(S) on their backs, and should have added that the pinks usually get a darker grayish color.
Well here is what the federal fisheries biologist had to say today.

"You are right! Although the picture isn't the greatest, I am positive the fish in question is an adult male sockeye salmon. FYI - To my knowledge, no pink salmon have been observed in Twin Lakes. Hope this helps and
feel free to contact me with any further questions.
Dan Young
Lake Clark National Park and Preserve
Fisheries Biologist
National Park Service

And the State biologist said
"Definitely a sockeye male in spawning. Sockeye are common at Twin Lakes , not 100% sure about Pinks but am doubtful. Contact the Dillingham office for details. I know sockeye have been documented in the lakes since the 60s but not sure if it’s a large number or not. I suspect they spawn in the connecting stream and lower reaches of some of the feeder streams."
Westerman, David L (DFG)

Checkmate. Now onto more important things. Before cabin fever takes my mind.
Anonymous said…
The TV dude with the spawner is not eating that fish. He is a molester of fish.

Section 60. Molesting of fish

5 AAC 75.060. Molesting of fish

Molesting or impeding spawning or the natural movement of fish contrary to the lawful methods and means of sport fishing is prohibited.
Anonymous said…
Gee, those "biologists" seem a little incredible to me...kind of like an anonymous tipster. First of all, we do not know who they are, so how can we google search their creds. Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, we have no way of knowing how long they've been Alaskan residents. So how can we be absolutely certain of their expertise?

g
G, you are such a little shit! Ha, you made me laugh. And Anon, I agree EXCEPT I wonder if there is an exception for a fish that is more dead than alive? Probably not but from a practical point of view no harm no foul on this guy. He is done.
operator101 said…
As a PD you seem to have a lot of time to spend on the internet. :)

Popular posts from this blog