So, it has been a while. The computer went down with a virus. $189 later and I am pissed. There is really no choice, as both J and I need the computer to stay sane in the winter months. But who the hell get their kicks out of creating programs that do nothing but cause others misery? Winter is here with full force, despite the fact that it is only October. When I went to work this morning, it was 1 degree. 1. Winter seems to be causing problems this year. I learned that a good friend, G., is moving back to California in November. Oh, he claims it is for a woman, but I think the idea of another winter in Fairbanks scares him. G. I would not be in Alaska but for his relentless prodding. Now he is leaving me. Bastard. To make matters worse, it appears that Alaska Madman is also leaving. I guess winter is too hard on his family. Well that sucks. I went to my third Public Defender Conference last week. I left feeling depressed. Last year I recognized maybe 80% of the faces. This year I only knew a dozen people or so. It is the same with all Public Defender offices but it is sad nonetheless. With G leaving and AM going, next year will be a lot less fun for me. Winter is hard enough but watching your friends leave really, really sucks ass. One joy is the girls. Watch this video of Kadee. I'm sure she'll appreciate this on her wedding day! P.S. You need Adobe Flash Player.
video

Comments

josh said…
Alaskan Madman say it ain't so!!
Alaskan Madman said…
there's an opening at the firm....

wish i could stay. will esp. miss the dip net season. (and the set net i bought but will never use)
JOsh, there you go. An opening. AM, I'll buy the set net. Crap.
Anonymous said…
Hey guy, sorry to drop out on you, but it has been a good run. And some things are more important than freedom of guns and speech, privacy rights, freedom from search...oh shit.

g
Anonymous said…
The reality for us Alaskans is that very few folks stay. 80 percent of new arrivals stay less than 5 years. That forges a bond amongst those that do stay that rivals any biological family unit. We help each other through cold winters and hard times without question or reward. Whether it requires being soaking wet, freezing cold, or my last dollar, an Alaskan in need gets whatever I have. This endless communal struggle acts as a dark, but beautiful, backdrop to the blinding euphoria and rich bounty that America sees but only Alaskans can know.
Anonymous said…
Maybe in the bush, but I see no evidence of a "biological bond" between Alaskans in the cities. As for who is "Alaskan", if you've been here longer than the other guy, you are an alaskan and the other guy is a cheechako. Usually, people who set time standards such as 5 yrs has been here for 5 yrs. Next year, he'll say 6 yrs. is the standard.
Anonymous said…
When I said Alaskans, I didn't mean Anchorage. And when I used the 5 year statistic, I was just quoting state demographic statistics, not making an arbitrary benchmark for Alaskan status. Your cynical cheechako/sourdough argument holds no water. For example, Ben was an Alaskan upon arrival, if not at birth. It isn't a citizenship or time issue, it's a state of mind. You can be an Alaskan after one day, but some residents never really become one. However, I wouldn't try that argument with the PFD office or to buy and in-state hunting license.

Popular posts from this blog