So, life goes on as it must. That includes a little spruce grouse hunting. Winterizing the boat. Making beer. You know, the usual stuff. Next week I am going to the mandatory 3 day training the Alaska Public Defender Agency puts on each year. This year it is at Alyeska Resort in Girdwood again. To be honest, I look forward to meeting all my fellow attorneys more than the classes. Some will be old friends. Others will be attorneys I only know by phone but am looking forward to meeting. I find I get a better education by telling war stories with other attorneys than by sitting in class. But that is just me. This year I have been designated the unofficial beer maker. What started with the idea I would take up some beer for G and I, has turned into the "Kenai hospitality suite". So I am taking 5 kegs of beer and will share them with the entire Agency it seems. That will give us a chance to talk not only of our success and failures but our bitches too. Like my bitch that I was supposed to get a raise and a promotion effective September 25, 2007. But the paperwork was done wrong and I am still waiting. The hundreds of dollars extra that I should have made are gone forever. When you live paycheck to paycheck, a bureaucratic bungle that costs you money is beyond frustrating. As it is, this month is ugly as hell. One or two surprises (like poor Gromit or putting snow tires on the car) and I am broke. I get paid next friday and I have $11 until then. Good thing the Agency will be more or less feeding me until Wednesday. Damnit. J's car has 3/4 of tank of gas and Kadee has milk. THAT is the real story of being a public defender and a dad: is there enough money this month to make it?? It is not just me of course. See this story about the people who are struggling in this country: http://beta.malaysia.news.yahoo.com/ap/20071020/tbs-stretching-paychecks-f8250da.html Of course, I really can't complain or even compare myself to most; we live well and have some discretionary income. I am worried about the future though. If I'm struggling, what are most people in the country going to do? One thing that I have done is put the boat up for sale. I figure I can't keep that luxury and complain about how bad it is. I'll update when I get back.

Comments

operator101 said…
You should get your raise backdated to your 1 year hire date. That's policy. My raises/promotions have always been late and I just get a fat check when the raise/promotion finally goes through.
I've been told that is NOT going to happen. I'm just shit out of luck.
operator101 said…
that sucks.... sucks ass.
Alaskan Madman said…
Selling the boat! What about halibut next year? I guess a charter probably runs the same as fuel in that big 'ol boat....
Sadly, I never really got to use it, same as you.
Well I don't want to sell it. If I can'tget most of what in it out then I won't. IDO have plans for halibut next year. Let's just see if this damn raise ever come through.

Popular posts from this blog