So, let me tell you a story. It is the story about how I became a lawyer in the first place. I like to think about this story when I am frustrated with my job. In the winter of 1994 and spring of 1995 I was tired of school. Tired of university. I hated city life in Victoria and never felt at home there (although I am not 100% sure I would feel the same now). Yet after almost 4 years of university I had no real skills and no idea what to do with the rest of my life. Someone convinced me to consider law school. I agreed to write the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT) for reasons I cannot recall now but I had no real intention of following through. So, I applied to a community college in Prince George to be a heavy duty mechanic. At the time I thought it was either that or apply to be a police officer. I used to be very conservative and "law and order". At least until July 26, 1996. But that story is for another time. I thought I would be happier being a mechanic in the North country and my older brother lived there. I had almost 4 years of university education and was accepted into college for that program. Once accepted, and because I was so sure I did not want to go to Law school, I went to the bank to cancel the check for my LSAT. Unfortunately, I did not remember the exact amount of the check. I recall that I got it wrong by .01 cent. So, the bank cashed it. I remember at the time being furious. But, since I had paid for it, I decided to go write the damn LSAT. But I sure as hell didn't intend to study. Well, I got the 88th percentile anyway. Damn. So I applied for law school. But I was not going to leave British Columbia to go to law school. I had no hope of getting into UVic law. UVic law, at the time, was considered the best law school in Canada and competition was fierce. I recall that only 1 in 10 applicants made it. Surprisingly to me, I was accepted. Now I had to go. I often think about the whole string of coincidences there. How it means that I was meant to be a lawyer. How noble my profession is. How I need to still feel pride everytime I walk into that courthouse to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves. How those of us who dedicate our lives to public defense toil in empty courtrooms every day to preserve the freedom that we should have. That we used to have. And, although, I am often frustrated beyond belief at the loss of freedom Americans are willing to endure (and indeed are clamoring for), I simply cannot imagine doing anything else. I was born to be a lawyer.

Comments

dan said…
It's more than just you who stumbled into the legal profession and ended up, through a variety of strange conveyances and detours here in Alaska.

Good post.
FDR said…
Dude, are stories are similar in an antithetical way.

I was in college, this nice suburban Christian boy. (I basically thought all social problems could be solved by people just learning to be "nice") I hated school, changed my major 5 times or so(Physics, engineering, psychology, sociology, history). My mom read in the paper that the Buffalo Police were having an entrance exam. I took it as a lark, never having wanted to be a cop (except as a typical 9 year old playing cops and robbers and watching Starsky & Hutch and Hill Street Blues). I placed 26th out the 3500 who took the test. and next spring I can retire with a pension (and maybe move to Alaska?). Go figure.

While I am anxious to get out of CJ (my ambitions are otherwise), I am proud to be a cop for the same reason you are a PD. To protect those who cannot protect themselves. God bless you in your endeavors, and I pray that when you are right, you win. (although I hope you lose when you are wrong!)
Anonymous said…
Well, some of us to are grateful for those coincidences because of the personal benefit we have reaped. For my part, a deep and enduring "help me bury a body" and "suck my balls $2 raise" friendship. For others, a husband. For many others a good friend. And for even more, someone to stand up on their behalf and fight "the man."

One of these days, we will have to tell the immortal tale of:

The Trouble With Land Claims
By Ben and Jeremy

Yours in being the co-epitome of evil,
Jeremy
Lake Ladoga said…
Man! this is a corner for tortured souls!!...Relax a bit.
Lake I have no idea what you are talking about. How is the story of how I became a lawyer being a "tortured soul"? Jesus. Don't you people have anything better to do?
brewerburns said…
I too sort of stumbled into law school almost without realizing what I was doing. But it's worked out for the best.

Popular posts from this blog