So, we went to Anchorage for the day. It was the first time J and Kadee had been there. First, we went to Walmart. When we pulled into the lot I could barely keep J from sprinting into the store. I think she knocked down about 3 old ladies; the old guy who greeted us just saw a blur of pink as J and Kadee went whizzing by. Anyways we went in and spent $300 on Kadee. We finally got her a crib so she can hopefully stop sleeping in bed with us. There was not one crib anywhere on the Kenai Peninsula so we are excited. I then took Kadee to Chuck E. Cheese's for lunch. Wow. What a zoo. I thought Kadee would stroke out with sensory overload. If everyone in there just spent $10, the owners must be millionaires. As typical, however, her favorite thing in the whole place was a paper plate.

She cried a lot of the way there but with her paper plate she was as quiet as a mouse on the 3 hour drive back. Finally, we went to Sportmen's Warehouse. J got some clothes. Kadee got the most adorable realtree camo bib overall. I got a $3 fish knocker. To paraphrase the comedian Chris Rock..."all the man gets for working is the big piece of chicken". However, I made a mental note of all the stuff I need for moose hunting this fall. I will probably drop $1000 on gear so it will all (more than) even out. I could easily spend $50,000 in there in an afternoon. My God, the guns alone could keep me busy for a weekend. Sometimes life in Alaska means 6 hours of driving for about 2 hours of shopping. Nice drive though. The usual Alaska stuff. Mountains. Glaciers. Rivers, streams and the ocean. Yawn.
At least J got to get out of the house and check out a tiny bit of Alaska. Talking about checking out Alaska, I am going ice fishing tomorrow on a Island lake, a lake we have not tried yet, but is stocked with rainbows and Arctic char. Maybe I will finally catch one worth keeping! Tomorrow is the first three day weekend (except Christmas Day) since joining the Alaska Public Defender Agency that I am not going to work. I worked really hard last week to "catch up" from being sick and have decided to fish. As the weather gets better I can see how it will be hard to work at all!

Comments

Melissa said…
I'm finallt de-lurking! I've been reading your blog for quite some time but haven't commented and this post broke my streak!

I am also a public defender in N.H. - Nashua. I started out in Littleton, NH, way up North. We covered everything from where our office was (it was like the last exit on I-93) all the way to the Canadien border and it was the big town. Very rural! I met people that were psyched that they were building a Wal-Mart and Home Depot in Littleton! I enjoyed living there very much, but ended up moving to be with my husband.
John said…
Damn.

Just damn.

Miss that.

(it was worth it)

(we'll be back)

Popular posts from this blog